21 Books for 21 Years

Today is my 21st birthday (yay!) So, I thought I'd share 21 books that have made me the person I am today... aka 21 of my all time favourite books (in no particular order!)

1. Harry Potter by JK Rowling

I think this one's pretty self explanatory - if anyone knows me personally they'll know I'm obsessed with this series, it was one of the first books, and one of the very first fantasy books that drew me into reading. I still reread it nearly every year (no shame)

2. These Violent Delights by Chloe Gong

This is my favourite book of 2021 so far, so I feel like this is a great way to get more of an insight into my current tastes. I do love a Shakespeare retelling, and Romeo and Juliet holds a special place in my heart, as it was the first of his works I read.

3. Call Me by Your Name by André Aciman

One of my very first ventures into adult romance, and it was just everything I needed at the time of reading it. A beautiful bittersweet summer romance set in Italy, yes. This one is definitely due a reread <3

4. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

I also read this book this year, but Leigh Bardugo has to be one of my all time favourite authors, and this duology is the best of her work (that I've read so far!).

5. Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

Apparently I have a thing for heart wrenching romances, who knew! This one is definitely another I read at exactly the right moment in my life - and it showed me that love is ugly, but maybe that's okay.

6. You by Caroline Kepnes

I hardly ever branch out of my favourite genres (fantasy, sci-fi and romance) but after watching the TV show of 'You', I read the book and it blew my mind. It was also the first novel I've read in 2nd person, and honestly it's on this list because I'm still thinking about it, years later after reading it.

7. The Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye

This book is so underrated! It was the first fantasy I'd ever read on audio, and I read it in one sitting as I was so engrossed. It has the most unique plot, characters and setting (beautiful, snowy Russia). 

8. They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera

This was the first book I'd ever properly cried at (not just a few stray tears), like full on ball my eyes out, and lay in a dark hollow pit for hours after finishing it. Such a unique concept and perfectly executed.

9. Children of Blood and Bone by Toni Adeyemi

I read this when it was first released, and it ended with such a bang and I couldn't stop thinking about it for months anticipating the sequel. And now that the sequels out I'm too intimidated to read it. 

10. This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay

As some of you may know, when I was studying for my a-levels, my dream in life was to become a doctor - so this one felt really personal. And it was gut-wrenchingly sad, it showed the harsh realities of what working for a crumbling health service is like. I would recommend this to everyone. 

11. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

I read this for a-level English and it sparked my adoration for feminist literature, specifically at the time feminist dystopia. It really opened my eyes into the oppression women face, and the parallels with the US at my time of reading were eerie.

12. I Know Why the Caged Birds Sing by Maya Angelou

The second, and last non-fiction on this list. Maya Angelou has such a way with words and not many other writers have managed to make me feel the same kind of feelings that she has. This was lyrical, whilst also being empowering and at the same time being devastatingly traumatic. 

13. Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas

This series reignited my love for reading for the 3rd(?) time. When I had a biking accident and broke my collarbone, I had a lot of spare time, and I mean a lot, and I devoured this series in the month of recovery I had. I think due to the fact I read it in such a short period of time, and all back-to-back, I become so attached to the characters. I think this series is the strongest competitor with Harry Potter for the top spot.

14. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas

After reading (and loving) throne of glass, I had to pick up the ACOTAR series. And of course I loved it! I believe this is the series that made me realise fantasy romance was my favourite genre of all time (and for that I am eternally grateful)

15. The Hate u Give by Angie Thomas

I read this when it was first released, and it was so heartbreakingly reminiscent of the current state of the US (and more widespread racism). It made me reflect on myself, and made me started to be more performative in my activism for anti-racism.

16. The Power by Naomi Alderman

Not sure how another feminist dystopia managed to make it on this list (joking - I know exactly why - I'm a raging feminist, that's why). This book was a refreshing perspective and a beautiful demonstration of what would happen if there was a shift in power dynamics in society (Women are finally not the oppressed!)

17. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Didn't we all have that dystopia phase in 2013? (At least I hope it wasn't just me...) I feel like this one is pretty self-explanatory, it was what I loved and craved at the time. Plus Katniss was the badass heroine 13 year old me needed.

18. Red, White and Royal Blue by Kasey McQuiston

This was one of those books I knew I would love before jumping into it. It was such a fun journey and I have some of the best memories attached to it. It also dealt with some really difficult topics, which were executed perfectly.

19. Birthday Girl by Penelope Douglas

I love a good age-gap romance, take of that what you will.

20. Normal People by Sally Rooney

I think by this point, you've realised I love realistic and tear-jerking romances, this is no exception. It's such a beautiful and unlikely story and I really resonated with the characters.

21. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

What a way to end this list, with my guilty pleasure read. I know this book is objectively bad, does that stop me from liking it? Absolutely not. Edward is the archetype for all of my future (book) boyfriends, and I'm not even mad about it.

If you've read any of these, please let me know what you think in the comments - or tell me your favourite book of all time!

Books and bouquets. x

Bloglovin     Goodreads     Twitter     Instagram

Comments